What's Up In My Atmosphere

Monday, June 30, 2008

Last week my OBGYN recommended that I stay off my feet fearing I may have developed toxemia, a recommendation I decided not to take seriously. I come from a long line (Hi Mom! I know you read this!) of folks distrustful of doctors and medicine in general. So I decided it would be fine to waddle out into the oppressive heat and walk all around with David buying cat food and an answering machine and all this other stuff. Needless to say, it was a pretty big mistake. My feet and my hands swelled up all gigantic and balloonishly and I almost passed out in public, something I try to avoid whenever possible. So I'm essentially an indoor kid now. The baby, now officially Quinn Bernard Morrow, could come any day now (but I hope he waits for the new moon, at least). I'm in my 40th week and honestly can't wait for my body to go back to being MINE. Pregnancy and I clearly do NOT get along, at least not biologically.

David and I have started buying bruised fruit for me to bake with, which I love. I made a giant loaf of yummy blueberry banana bread this morning, and I also have mangos (!!) and strawberries to work with later as well. I *think* I'm going to try making a bunch of mango cobbler soon, provided I don't go into labor first.

Does anyone have any excellent cookbook recommendations? Baking AND cooking, except that the cooking should be vegetarian/vegan in nature. I've been particularly interested in interesting veggie crockpot recipes. I've been scourging etsy.com for cooking zines and the like, thinking I might start a little cooking library to go beneath my poetry one. Who knew, right?

5 comments:

Miss E said...

I recently bought these two, and am really pleased with both of them. Since we've been trying to do more seasonal eating, it's been helpful to have an understanding of what's actually available at the same times of year. Both contain some meat recipes, but are mainly focused on the veg:

Serving Up the Harvest: Celebrating the Goodness of Fresh Vegetables by Andrea Chesman
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580176631

Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets by Deborah Madison
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0767903498

gillian said...

take care of yourself, sweetie. so excited for quinn to come into the world!

laura said...

ahh baby quinn! this is so exciting. maybe the next time you post, he'll be here!!

my sister bought me "fresh from the vegetarian slow-cooker". i haven't used it yet, but the recipes look really simple and tasty. anything moosewood is good, too -- i have the low-fat edition. and the veganomicon has a LOT of vegan recipes, some complicated, but a lot of them really simple techniques (i.e. how to roast veggies, simple side dishes, etc).

gillian said...

oh, also, I bought this book for my vegan friend and now I want to buy it because I'm thinking of going vegan and the recipes are wonderful!

http://www.theppk.com/nomicon.html

Cait! said...

@ E: Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm so excited about starting up a little cooking library that it's sort of scaring me. "Local flavors" looks especially interesting- I can't wait!

@ Gilly: Thanks darling, I'm trying! It's rough not really being able to do the things I want to do, but I've only got a week or so left. INSANE< right? That cookbook looks awesome, I especially liked this "the kind of chow you can whip up any night of the week with your pantry staples and some seasonal produce." That's exactly what I'm looking for!

@ Laura: At this point it's a giant, excruciating waiting game. Any day could mean in an hour or a week from now! I just want to finally MEET him, you know?

I'm definitely going to have to pick up the Veganomicon now that two people have recommended it. Maybe going vegan would end up being easier than I thought and I'll just naturally go there? Oh, but my love for cheese- it's unrivaled!

 
Not So Awful - by Templates para novo blogger