Baby Appreciation Day!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

This past Sunday was my baby shower! My mother, who has long since accepted she will probably never be able to plan a wedding for me ("Why get *married,* Mom?"), took the project on with gusto! She ordered favors on the internet, drove miles for centerpieces and party favors, planned games and even made little hand stamped place cards for every guest! It was great, and aside from walking into the room to find long tables all bunched together instead of the quaint, well spaced circular tables we were expecting and a *slight* wardrobe panic prior (the dress I bought for the shower a month ago didn't fit as well as it once had in the chest area, since apparently I'm whipping up enough milk to feed a small, starving country) everything went off without a hitch!


Bump & I (and my simian line)!


It was an interesting mix of people; at one table my relatives from my mother AND fathers side, including my adorable Grandma who was thankfully feeling well enough to attend. The next table was my friends, most of whom I hadn't seen in at least a year but NEVER GOT TO REALLY TALK TO because I was constantly on my feet greeting people and opening presents (I barely got to eat) and my mother's co-workers. At the third table was all of David's family from Worcester & beyond (his sister in law, Melissa, flew in from Tennessee!), including HIS adorable grandmother who was thankfully feeling well enough to attend. My mother, being the muffin that she is, got corsages for me, both future grandmas, AND both future great grandmas.


My mom, Ring Master, & my grandmother!
(c) Gill @ Shield Your Eyes


I had this moment of overwhelming reality while I was sitting there opening presents. I kept holding up these TINY pairs of socks and MINUSCULE tshirts and the LITTLEST, most adorable toys. Somewhere in the middle of it all it hit me that the baby is coming, any week now! He's really and truly COMING. 9 months of gestation is honestly a blessing, because it's taken me this long to really cope with the enormity of everything.


Davey & I opening presents

We've got a whole nursery filled with all sorts of beautiful, useful stuff- more than I ever could have wished for or imagined. I'm so ridiculously blessed to have so many caring people in my life! I'm sorry to everyone who drove a long way and then hardly got to talk to me; I wasn't expecting it to be so chaotic from start to finish!

Tomorrow I start the daunting but enthusiastic task of handwriting 52 individual thank you notes! Look for yours soon and thank you thank you THANK YOU again!! The Little Boy is going to be the cleanest, best dressed, most well stimulated infant that ever there was! Seeing all of your smiling, supportive faces gave me a lot of hope and a well needed jolt of "!!!"

4 comments:

Sarah Lynn Knowles said...

by the way i thought you did a fantastic job acting excited about every single present for the benefit of us all. i kept hiding the little cinnamon bun in weird spots around my mom's car and she got all upset about "what IS this THING, and where did it COME FROM?"

haha but it was a good time. your mom asked me what's taking me so long... and i said "i need to meet a guy first." you might want to educate her on how the actual babymaking process works. ;)

elle indsay said...

whoa baby shower. cait, you look terrific! ^_^

Melanie said...

It was a super fun party and it was so nice to see you & David and your fam. After being in the country and celebrating the blessed new life that you are growing, I felt totally grounded when I got back to NYC and knocked over three tourists in Port Authority for being IN MY WAY.

Cait! said...

@ Sarah: I think the little buns confused everybody. When I was handing them out people kept putting them up to their faces like they were supposed to eat them. *I* thought they were adorable, haha.

Also, come on now, *meeting* a guy is not hard. Actually *getting* knocked up isn't hard either. There are sleazy drunk guys ALL OVER NYC who would be happy to take you home for some NSA procreation. Clearly you are just too picky.

@ Linz: Thank you! That's really nice of you to say, especially since I'm in my final month now and feeling like a two ton prize heifer. Who knew babies needed so much damned room?

@ Melanie: Yes! I'm so glad I got to see you, albeit briefly. I didn't anticipate at all that the scene would be so hectic. Once the baby's actually around to meet, David and I will have a little "staring at the baby" party and hopefully we'll have time to catch up then!

Also, those tourists went home knowing who the REAL boss of the Port Authority is. Namely, you.

 
Not So Awful - by Templates para novo blogger