SUPER SOULMATES; an introduction to synastry

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I've been struggling with how to approach my interest in astrology here, since I'm fairly certain 98% of the few of you who come here regularly would be hard pressed to find a way to give less of a shit about it. The fact does remain, however, that it's become a large part of my life and I keep WANTING to talk about it, so what's a girl to do?

Approach with humor, of course! Before anyone decides they're feeling ranty and judgemental, I'm fully aware that astrology is not law and I use it mainly as a tool to foresee influence. That being said, please have patience with the following light hearted, slightly tongue in cheek look at astrological synastry.

Does anyone else remember 90's flower child Shannon Hoon, deceased frontman of the band Blind Melon? Perhaps this will jog your memories:


"It's not saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane"


I recently discovered that, strangely, randomly, and at least according to the cosmic universe, Mr. Hoon and I would have made a pretty formidable pair. I've honestly never seen a chart more compatible with my own before seeing his today. Considering my past choices of partners, it would figure he'd have died young from a drug overdose, right? Synastry-wise, I'm going to examine all of the ways that Shannon Hoon and I would have, astrologically at least, been SUPER SOULMATES.

The planets and houses that are looked at most in synastry (the astrology of compatibility) are each of a pair's Ascendant (the public self), Sun (overall being), Moon (emotions), Mercury (communication), Venus (love), Mars (sexuality), north node (life's path), and the 7th house, aka the Descendant (ideals & relationships). In general, the closer the planets are to each other by sign, the more favorable the aspect. This isn't always the case, but getting into it right now would be horrendously boring and if you've actually made it this far, I don't want to lose you. For the same reason, I'm going to be focusing primarily on conjunctions here (planets within 5 or 6 degrees of each other), as Shannon Hoon and I have many. Moving on!



Lovahs?


Shannon (Solar Libra, Lunar Cancer) and I (Solar Aries, Lunar Capricorn) are both, to our misfortune, Sun square Moon individuals, basically meaning that our emotions are constantly at odds with how we choose to act. While this is a difficult aspect to deal with natally (aka: individually), in synastry sharing difficult aspects like this can bring two people together in a kind of "us vs. them" way that only strengthens their bond. Of course it also means we could get each other into a lot of trouble, but Shannon and I are/were both primarily cardinal people- getting ourselves in to and out of trouble made/makes us feel sexy.

Shannon's Mars in Sagittarius is right on my descendant, and (conveniently) my Mars in Libra is right on his. What this essentially means is that, at least in the raw, sexual sense, Shannon and I would have had all the exact right moves for each other. While favorable overall, there's also the distinct risk of sexual obsession with this aspect, but at least in Shannon and I's case it would have gone both ways, right? The idea of locking myself in a room with a Mars in Sag individual for a week or so and letting off some serious steam is probably the most appealing thing I can imagine (especially going into my last trimester, rendering me hornier than probably ever before. Yes, I said it.)

Even more amazingly, my sun in Aries is conjunct both his Ascendant AND north node. These are two of the most powerful synastry aspects in existence, the combination of the TWO is sort of unbelievable, and I've never seen a chart before Shannon's that I have them with. In the case of the sun & ascendant, the pair in question constantly reinforce each other's personal view of the world, creating a significantly deep spiritual link between them. Imagine a person who you could constantly count on to make you feel less crazy and like you actually belong on the earth; that's what I'm talking about. Sun conjunct north node denotes a relationship that is constantly, and more often than not positively, moving forward. These two people could help each other to grow and accomplish their dreams much, much faster than they could on their own or with another, not as well aspected, partner.

On the flip side, Shannon's *moon* is conjunct *my* north node, another powerful influence in synastry usually seen by astrologers as a "fated" aspect. Davey and I have this aspect, actually, and it helps us out tons considering (like Shannon) his moon in moody, over-emotional Cancer is opposite mine in icy, reserved Capricorn, which would normally cause too much drama to be worth it. While sun conjunct north node concerns itself mainly with the mutual progression of each other's goals, dreams, and self esteem, the connection between north node and the moon is distinctly emotional and remarkably deep. It creates an emotional bond so strong that it's capable of overcoming most of the bullshit and tribulation that cause other relationships to go up in flames, especially if the two are well aspected in other areas as well. The idea of having this many sun/moon/north node conjunctions with another human being sort of blows my mind; I can't even imagine what it would be like, to be honest.

Needless to say, at least astrologically, Shannon Hoon and I's yings and yangs all fit into each other perfectly. Which is always good to know, considering he's long gone. Luckily for me, Davey reminds me of Shannon Hoon anyway, so I'm not too far off... fundamentally.


Absence of shirt? Check!
Guitar? Check!
Ornamented hemp necklace? Check!
Weepy Cancer moon? Check!
Winner? ME!

5 comments:

Renee said...

JUST as I was about to comment, I noticed the tag "stuff no one but renee cares about," ha! I don't even know how or where to begin to respond to this post because it's basically the funniest/most amazing ever. it makes way too much sense! the north node conjunctions are especially freaky. if we were still in jr. high right now, we'd probably create and enact a fake wedding in which you and the ghost of Shannon Hoon take the most sacred of vows together. ...actually, I'd still do this! Davey might get a little upset/jealous though (naturally). ah well. perhaps you two shall reunite in the afterlife!

elle indsay said...

hey! i care! i don't know as much about astrology as you do, but i have a hard time diving into it. i know some basic stuff about charts (like where my moon & planets are) but learning about more than that seems to get really technical, really fast. :O so how did you learn?

Cait! said...

@ Renee: It blew my mind! Even the things that seemed bad turned out to be positive. His Venus is sextile my Eros. His Saturn is conjunct my sun AND vice versa. There's lots of positive reciprocity, which I don't see very often in my synastry with others. I think it's interesting that a person with their sun AND moon opposite mine would still be good for me because I'm dominated by Libra elsewhere in my chart and my n. node is Cancer. Doesn't it make sense that the most harmonious pairing for me would be the opposite of what I'd immediately lead myself to believe? Explains a lot about my life up 'til now, huh?

New Theory: Maybe Shannon Hoon came back to me in Cosmo's body?

@ Linzer: I was pretty lucky, because Renee and I started to study it at the same time. We had each other to talk to about it, and share knowledge with; a huge help considering the incredibly small amount of tolerance the rest of our friends have for astrology talk. A year of that, combined with help from google, a few books, and sheer will power and here we are!

sarah said...

Cait, read your post and wanted to comment especially on: "my sun in Aries is conjunct both his Ascendant AND north node. These are two of the most powerful synastry aspects in existence, the combination of the TWO is sort of unbelievable, and I've never seen a chart before Shannon's that I have them with. In the case of the sun & ascendant, the pair in question constantly reinforce each other's personal view of the world, creating a significantly deep spiritual link between them. Imagine a person who you could constantly count on to make you feel less crazy and like you actually belong on the earth; that's what I'm talking about. Sun conjunct north node denotes a relationship that is constantly, and more often than not positively, moving forward. These two people could help each other to grow and accomplish their dreams much, much faster than they could on their own or with another, not as well aspected, partner."
i and the person i have been stuck with for 14 years and cant seem to get out have these conjunctions with my capricorn sun conjunct his asc and n node. we have many other major aspects that should afford us to get along great but the fact is we've fought horribly, basically the whole relationship.despite our ties. i have read that if the north node is conjunct saturn, the relationship may never get off the ground correctly and i feel that is the case with us. he bought me a large expensive diamond ring in the beginning but something (mainly his violent, manipulative and controlling attitude) kept me from saying yes or getting any closer to him. we slowly have grown apart though we still are in the same house. something makes me stay, to help him as a friend or for karma,i'm not sure cause i am not attracted to him but he is still attracted to me, so he says most of the time. :)i feel he still dosn't get it. maybe after i leave permanately, he will. i am very unhappy with him overall and the way he operates in his life he has always been lucky concerning work (jupiter in capricorn cusp of first house, and also my jupiter cusp of his 5th and 6th work houses (i've helped him quite a bit with his work and hes totally unppreciative overall) what good is earning $ if you cant manage money and let it slip thru your hands due to error after poor judgement error.i will try and post our synastry chart. i also had my first bf 6 year living together relationship. where my north node is conjunt his sun. i left him. he was controlling and a few violent episodes too. but he is back in my life and i'm considering escaping the situation i'm in and going back to this guy as a friend only. although i am very hesitant. i think the nodes denote karma. and it may not be pretty. i am starting to believe a relationship that you may only grow from and not stay permanantly. although with both these men there is a some type of strong bond, but not in a sexual way on my part, only for them. there immaturity and lifestyles are a complete turnoff to me. there seems to be something missing especially from my perspective. the current one is worse and has interfered in my work and life to the point of intentful sabotauge.(not exaggerating)and make me feel much more crazy to say the least. would like to get out but still to no avail. ~*~ peace

La chica francesa said...

i know a guy but we dont date .. i see him everyday.. im attracted to him i dont know if he is attracted too ... his mars falls in my 5th house pisces conjunct with my north node and jupiter.. my moon in scorpio his moon in capricorn .. his jupiter falls in my 7th housd taurus conjunct my venus and sun ..his venus in cancer .. my mars and mercury in gemini.. his mercury in libra .. his saturn in sagittarius conjunct my uranus and neptune ..my saturn is in scorpio ..his sun conjunct my south node in virgo ... i m so attracted to him because of his mars conjunct my nn :s

regards from france

 
Not So Awful - by Templates para novo blogger